As if interviewing for a job isn't already nerve-racking to begin with, but thinking of what to wear to the interview is just as stressful. Depending on the weather, office environment, company culture, and position you are applying for, it is best to be cognizant of how you want to present yourself on this first meeting. Yes, yes, I know. Don't judge a book by its cover. But in this case, you are not trying to pretend something you are not. You are simply presenting the best version of yourself. Your appearance is an extension of what's inside. You should come across as someone who cares about him/herself, and respects the people you are meeting for the first time. Keep it simple, professional, clean, and comfortable. It's all about balance.
1. Ladies, tone down the make-up and crazy nails. Avoid heavy, cakey make-up and super long, bright colored nails, as they can distract the interviewer. You want to be remembered as that best candidate rather the one who had neon pink nails! Gents, please groom yourself - shave, get a haircut, clip your nails, and wear deodorant!
2. Avoid strong perfume/cologne as some people can be allergic. I learned this the hard way when I showed up to work on my first day doused in Ralph Lauren's Romance. I had no idea that my boss was allergic to perfume. He ended up getting a headache and had to work from home the rest of the day. What a way to make an impression on my first day! The last thing you want is for the interviewer to be sneezing the entire time and get screened out because of your strong scent!
3. Keep it light with accessories. You want your interviewer to focus on your skills and capabilities, not that over-sized hoop earrings, cocktail ring, or nose ring. Avoid being too flashy. Leave the gold chain at home.
4. "Best foot forward," taken literally, shoes can make or break a good first impression. They don't have to be new, but they need to be clean. Gentlemen should invest on a good leather pair of loafers, oxfords, or monk-straps. For the ladies, it is recommendable to wear a good pair of low-heeled pumps or Maryjanes, as flats can be too casual.
5. Don't overdress or be too casual. Sounds like common sense, but some of us neglect to research the company you are applying for. Not only that you will set yourself apart from other candidates, but by doing your homework, you will gain a better insight on the company's culture and office atmosphere. If you are applying for a Finance, legal, or account executive position in a corporate setting, you might want to dress in business formal attire. If you are applying at a start-up, or a more relaxed environment, a full on suit might be a bit much. But this doesn't mean you should show up in yoga pants, jeans, flip-flops, and t-shirt. A clean button-down shirt with khaki or slacks, and clean pair of shoes for a guy. A dress shirt or blouse (that doesn't show cleavage), pencil skirt, and pumps for a woman.
Most importantly, remember that the best armor you can have is confidence!
Blondes have more fun! I can attest to this. As a natural brunette, my awesome hair stylist, Jason Dejeu and I decided to go blonde 5 months ago. And boy, it was a long process, but definitely worth it. Since my hair have been colored multiple times previously, he had a challenging task ahead of him. The first round took us 7.5 hours (shown on the photo above). The second phase took 6 hours to work on the darker roots. Finally, third round, after 7 hours, we finally achieved what we are going for - the perfect tone of beige blonde for my complexion. But being a converted blonde can be high maintenance. It can also make your hair dry, brittle, and porous.
So, here are some of the products I use to prevent further damage, and keep my locks shiny and healthy. Olaplex 3 is an at-home treatment that you can use once a week before you shampoo. Fanola is by far the best purple shampoo I've used to eliminate brassy, orange tones. Oribe Beautiful Color shampoo and conditioner restores and protects my hair from UV rays. And yeeeeessss, a hat is your saving grace on a hot day! I really like this Nike feather-light hat because I can fold and keep in my purse to carry with me. I use OGX coconut hair mist on the ends of my hair to nourish and prevent split ends.
This fall season, colorful bags hit the streets of NYFW. With trends moving and changing so fast, I picked some styles and color that can carry us all year round. Classic never dies. So, here are my top 6 trendy bags for fall.
Fall is definitely here! With NYFW wrapping up, and Halloween stores popping around, we are in for a treat. Trending for all are floral and animal print dresses of various lengths. Here are 6 fall dresses that I actually own, and planning to rock it on and off duty.
Summer came and went. Now you are stuck with all these summer clothes. What to do? Well, don't be so quick to store them away. Most of your summer pieces can be transitional fall outfits.
1. Layering is key - Take a silk cami or a floral one, wear it over a plain t-shirt. You can add a boyfriend cardigan sweater or for a rock star vibe, throw on a leather jacket (All items below can be found at ASOS.com).
2. Summer dress - During the summer you wore a maxi dress with sandals. For fall, replace the sandals with boots. Throw on a trench coat, and voila! You have now have the perfect fall ensemble (All items shown below can be found at Zara.com)
3. Skirts - Short skirts are my favorite transition piece from summer to fall as it is so versatile. You can wear a pair of boots, with a chunky sweater. Opt for a pair of leggings under or tights, with a simple turtle neck for a chic vibe (All items shown below can be found at Anthropologie.com)
As much as I look forward to going on vacation, packing always felt like a daunting task. It can be overwhelming and frustrating. But after a few tries, I've finally narrowed it down to a few steps. Here are a few of my travel tips and how I pack for vacation.
1. Check the weather in advance at Weather.com App so you can be better prepared and can pack things that are weather appropriate.
2. Write a generic agenda. I say generic because plans may very well change when you are on vacation. Write a list of places you want to visit, activities you want to try. Based on your agenda, write a list of things to pack.
3. I like packing comfortable clothes like a pair of jeans/shorts, tees/tanks, swimsuit, pair of sneakers, sandals/flip flops. I also bring a pair of flat shoes for walking around town or out to dinner. I love a maxi dress because it is so versatile. I bring at least a jacket/cardigan sweater, in case it gets a bit chilly at night. I like useful accessories such as hat, light scarf, and pair of sunglasses. I also pack gym clothes, in case I feel the need to work out or go for a run.
4. Make sure that the size of your luggage fits the standard airline requirement of 27" x 21" x 14". It will save you the hassle of having to check your luggage in while boarding the plane, or in some cases, paying extra fees.
5. I like to bring travel/sample size skin and hair care products. Trust me, they save a lot of space, and it meets airline bottle size requirements for carry on!
6. I separate my Tumi V3 Carry On luggage into two compartments: one for clothes, and the other side for shoes/accessories/skin care products. I fold and roll each piece of clothing, leaving room for souvenirs and other unique finds.
7. I don't bring a camera. My iPhone 8 Plus has a big enough screen, and takes really good quality photos. As far as valuables, I don't bring expensive jewelry. I prefer to wear my iWatch or Fitbit.
I hope these tips are helpful. Please share your ideas on how you pack for vacation by leaving me a comment below. Have an awesome summer!
I love Summer. But as we all know, the sun can be harsh on our skin. I'd like to share some of my favorite skin care products that I actually use to protect my skin. Skin care keeps my skin clear, and healthy. During the summer, I rarely put on make up. I prefer a natural healthy glow. Glamglow Flasmud Brightening Treatment is a face scrub that I use once or twice a week. It not only leaves my skin looking fresh, but brightens it up as well. I wash my face with a hydrating gentle cleanser by La Roche Posay. I follow up with Clinique Lotion 2 toner, then Retinol cream from Paula's Choice. I put on either Rose Hip Seed Oil by The Ordinary at night, or Murad Hydrating moisturizer at daytime. During the day, I also make sure to put on sunscreen. SuperGoop with SPF 50 is super light weight and does not leave a white residue, so it's perfect to use under your foundation. At night, I skip the sunscreen. Instead, I put on Vitamin C cream by The Ordinary, and Dr. Goss' C + Collagen eye cream. For my lips, I use Fresh lip scrub, and finish off with Farmacy's Saviour All-In One salve. You can check these products out at Ulta.com, Sephora.com and Beautylish.com.
Summer is officially here!
Weddings, travel, picnics, sports events, and of course the biggest summer holiday, 4th of July. Fireworks, theme parks, beaches, and BBQs.
With all these fun activities, you start thinking, "What should I wear???"
Well, don't panic. No need to do last minute shopping that could cost you more money than what you need to spend.
By shopping your own closet, you can literally save a ton of cash, and explore your own creativity.
1. An old pair of Denim Jeans can be transformed into cut off shorts. All you need is a pair of strong scissors, and tape measure. Leave the hem undone, and you're suddenly on trend. You can also try distressing them by using a Dremel tool to cut create subtle holes, and also shortening the hems to ankle length.
2. A Maxi Dress is versatile as you can dress it down or up. If you are planning to watch fireworks at night, wear it flat sandals or pair of Birkenstock, then throw on a sweater, or denim jacket. You can also wear a t-shirt under as a layering piece. Pop on some white sneakers, and you are ready to go! If you want to up your game, put on a pair of heeled sandals, and accessorize with some fan earrings, and you ready to party.
3. Jazz up a plain White T-shirt with those denim shorts you just made, and add a statement necklace for a bit of sparkle. Throw on a pair of shades, and you are ready for a day at the beach.
4. Turn a long sleeve button down shirt to a cool crop top by rolling up the sleeves, and tying up the front. Wear in with a bikini top under, and shorts, and voila! Instant coolness.
5. Accessorize using unused scarf or bandanna as head scarf or headband. It will protect your hair from UV exposure, and keep your hair in place.
So, there you have it. Keep it casual, comfortable, and stylish by adding your own personal touch.
No question that Amazon is the fastest way to get something cool for dad, and fast! For those of us who waited last minute, check out these 10 gift ideas all from Amazon.com
And if you have Prime membership, they offer same day-delivery with a minimum fee, or 2-day delivery for free!
Wicker straw bags is one of the hottest trends thissummer. Basket bags can be seen every where worn by bloggers and celebrities all over town. Price can be as low as $15 and as high as $2000! Selections vary from totes, shoulder bag, crossbody, or clutch. They are truly versatile, and can easily take any ordinary outfit to a hot summer ensemble.
Here are some of my personal picks:
Large Tote Bag $14.99 from Amazon is a steal! The giant online retailer offers hundreds of straw totes priced under $20. This tote can fit all your summer essentials. And if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can choose free 2-day delivery service.
Cult Gaia Bamboo Ark Bag, depending on size and style, price range from $128 - $198. It has an ark-shape, and see-through design. If you want privacy, you can use a canvals or vinyl pouch to keep your stuff organized. Nordstrom carries the Ark bag in bamboo and acrylic version.
If luxury is what you're looking for, The Carolsello tassel-trimmed crossbody straw bag by Sanayi 313 at Machesfashion.com will set you back $1,436 on sale at 30% off from its original price of $2,053!
Kayu Design works with women artisans in the Philippines to create and deliver high-end unique handbags made of natural materials, such as straw. Each piece is handmade, so no two bags are alike. Clutch shown below is the Kayu Crete Wicker Clutch sells for $205 at Shopbop.com
There you have it! I hope you'll find the best one that works for you, and well, your pocket. Enjoy your new bag!